Aprilia Performance Ride Control (APRC) - 2017
The Aprilia RSV4 RR and RF make perfect what was already top shelf in the previous versions thanks to a significant improvement to its already exceptional dynamic controls package designed and patented by Aprilia. APRC (Aprilia Performance Ride Control) is the well known dynamic control suite derived directly from the winning technology in world Superbike, the most complete and refined of those currently available on the market. This progress was possible mainly thanks to the repositioning of the inertial platform that governs the operation, improving accurate detection of the dynamic conditions of the bike, resulting in more efficient electronic control strategies. The fourth evolution of Aprilia APRC fits in perfectly with the fine electronic management of the new full Ride-by-Wire throttle that has allowed all superfluous throttle body electronic management components to be eliminated, thereby saving 590 grams.
APRC, which comes as standard equipment on the 2017 Aprilia RSV4 RR and RF, includes:
- New ATC: Aprilia Traction Control, adjustable on the fly, (without having to release the throttle) to 8 settings thanks to a practical joystick, now has even more fine tuned and higher performance operating logic.
- New AWC: Aprilia Wheelie Control, adjustable to 3 levels, has new, much more precise operating strategies thanks to the repositioning of the inertial platform. Wheelie control can now be adjusted on the fly without closing the throttle, like the ATC, thanks to the new and more practical left side electric block.
- New ALC: Aprilia Launch Control, for use on the track only, with 3 settings, uses even more effective new operating strategies.
- New AQS: Aprilia Quick Shift, the electronic gearbox that allows shifting without closing the throttle and without using the clutch, now with the downshift function as well, to allow clutchless downshifting. Its open-throttle downshifting feature is exclusive.
- New APL: Aprilia Pit Limiter, the system that lets you select and limit the top speed allowed in pit lane at the track or simply to make it easier to comply with posted speed limits on the road.
- New ACC: Aprilia Cruise Control. The new electronic management has allows an advanced cruise control system to be introduced, very convenient on longer trips because it lets you maintain the set speed without touching the throttle.
Aprilia Traction Control
The Cornerstone of the APRC suite is Aprilia Traction Control (ATC), which uses the full ability of the APRC sensors to look at lean angle and wheel speeds while also using an outside variable in the throttle position. This is possible because of the ride by wire system used in Aprilia's motorcycles.
Once the rear wheel begins to slip, the system reduces torque and but still allows the rider to adjust throttle and thus control the slide coming out of corners. There are 8 levels of traction control that are adjustable via a 2 button controller on the left handlebar. Adjustments can be made on the fly without closing the throttle allowing the rider to actively adapt to changing tire or pavement conditions.
Aprilia Wheelie Control
In many situations today, a superbike is hampered trying to accelerate by wanting to lift the front wheel. The rider is required to drag the rear brake or let up on the throttle and slow acceleration to keep the wheelie under control. Aprilia resolves this with AWC (Aprilia Launch Control) and gives the rider 3 levels of intervention again, independently adjustable from the other portions of APRC. This patented system is able to “tell” when a wheelie begins and ends and kicks in to smoothen wheel contact with the road. Smooth, soft wheelie management avoids harsh power cuts or pick-ups, providing perfect acceleration control. In 2017, wheelie control can now be adjusted on the fly without closing the throttle, like the ATC, thanks to the new and more practical left side electric block.
Aprilia Launch Control
Yet again, a common problem with today's extremely potent superbike is getting a good or perfect start. Too much or too little throttle or clutch can easily cause a bad start and severely limits your chances at a place on the podium.
The ALC (Aprilia Launch Control) system ensures an instant start as the lights go out, applying full power to the road to assist the rider in this critical moment of the race. All the rider needs to do is give full throttle and release the clutch as he normally would and shift gears.
The ALC has three settings that can be selected from the instrument panel menu, then it must be “armed” at standstill, by squeezing both traction control buttons on the left handlebar controller at the same time.
New for 2017!!!
Aprilia Quickshift (AQS)
A quickshift system better executed than any accessory and makes clutchless shifting during performance riding situations seamless. New in 2017 models, riders have the ability to quickly Downshift as well! This allows rapid shifting into both higher and lower gears without engaging the clutch. While this feature is a massive boost to the track rider looking for lower lap times, it also helps the street rider. In situations where a bumbled clutch release or movement of left hand may not be ideal, the AQS system gives back 10 fold.
Aprilia Cruise Control (ACC)
The all new 2017 electronic management system has allows an advanced cruise control system to be introduced, very convenient on longer trips because it lets riders maintain the set speed without touching the throttle.
Although this feature may seem counterintuitive on a high-performance sportbike, your wrist will surely thank you on longer rides.
Aprilia Pit Limiter (APL)
New in 2017, APL is a system that allows riders to electronically select and limit the top speed allowed in the pit lane at a track or simply to make it easier to comply with posted speed limits on public roads.
APL is yet another way riders can customize the performance of their bike, tuning Aprilia's advanced electronic controls to suit road conditions and current needs.
AF1 Racing and APRC
We at AF1 Racing have learned and used APRC extensively and believe it will become a prime deciding factor when looking at what our bikes have to offer. It is one of our favorite features of the Aprilia line and nothing else on the market compares. If you are seriously considering a bike with APRC and would like to experience it first hand, please stop by.