2017 RSV4 RR
Aprilia RSV4 is the natural evolution of an innovative project, capable in just a few years of dominating World SBK, earning seven world titles in six years and winning in its début in the FIM Superstock Cup, the championship dedicated to bikes that are closely derived from their factory versions. Unanimously acclaimed by critics and sought after by bikers from every corner of the globe, the RSV4 has always been the undisputed segment representative, the reference point for sportiness and performance, the best example of what can be achieved by exploiting the valuable experience of a victorious Racing Department like Aprilia's which, in its brief history has taken 54 championship titles. Skills honed on the track and transferred to the factory product to provide everyone with the same excitement that the motorbikes prepared by Aprilia Racing do.
A new era of RSV4 RR
The Aprilia RSV4 RR and RF make perfect what was already top-shelf in the previous versions thanks to a significant improvement to its already exceptional dynamic controls package designed and patented by Aprilia. APRC (Aprilia Performance Ride Control) is the well-known dynamic control suite derived directly from the winning technology in world Superbike, the most complete and refined of those currently available on the market. This progress was possible mainly thanks to the repositioning of the Inertial platform that governs the operation, improving accurate detection of the dynamic conditions of the bike, resulting in more efficient electronic control strategies. The fourth evolution of Aprilia APRC fits in perfectly with the fine electronic management of the new full Ride-by-Wire throttle that has allowed all superfluous throttle body electronic management components to be eliminated, thereby saving 590 grams.
New for 2017:
- New ATC: Aprilia Traction Control, adjustable on the fly, (without having to release the throttle} to 8 settings thanks to a practical joystick, now has even more fine-tuned and higher performance operating logic.
- New AWC: Aprilia Wheelie Control, adjustable to 3 levels, has new, much more precise operating strategies thanks to the re-positioning of the inertial platform. Wheelie control can now be adjusted on the fly without closing the throttle, like the ATC, thanks to the new and more practical left side electric block.
- New ALC: Aprilia Launch Control, for use on the track only, with 3 settings, uses even more effect new operating strategies.
- New AQS: Aprilia Quick Shift, the electronic gearbox that allows shifting without closing the throttle and without using the clutch, now with the downshift function as well, to allow clutchless downshifting. Its open-throttle downshifting feature is exclusive.
- New APL: Aprilia Pit Limiter, the system that lets you select and limit the top speed allowed in pit lane at the track or simply to make it easier to comply with posted speed limits on the road.
- New ACC: Aprilia Cruise Control. The new electronic management has allowed an advanced cruise control system to be introduced, very convenient on longer trips because it lets you maintain the set speed without touching the throttle.
Cornering ABS & Rear Liftup Mitigation
In addition to the fourth generation APRC system, RSV4 RR and RF come from the factory standard with advanced multi-map Cornering ABS, developed in collaboration with Bosch to guarantee not only extreme safety on the road, but also the best possible performance at the circuit. The 9.1 MP system, with truly contained weight and dimensions, is able to optimize braking and the ABS intervention in corners, thanks to a specific algorithm that constantly monitors various parameters such as lateral acceleration, the pressure applied to the front brake lever, the lean, pitch and yaw angle, modulating the braking action in order to better guarantee the ratio between deceleration and stability. The new ABS system works in unison with the Aprilia RLM (Rear Liftup Mitigation) system that limits the lift of the rear wheel during more abrupt braking. Cornering ABS, fine tuned in accordance with Aprili a's specific indications, is adjustable to 3 levels of sensibility and can be switched off. Each of the three Cornering ABS maps can be combined with any of the three new engine maps (Sport, Track, Race), allowing riders with different experience and skill levels to find the best possible combination for their style. The three maps are "full power" and differ in the way they unload the 201 HP of which the Aprilia V4 is capable onto the asphalt, in addition to the percentage of engine brake dedicated to them.
Color TFT Instrumentation
The total revamping of the RSV4's electronics management is completed by the new color TFT Instrumentation, a true digital computer with exceptional display options. The two selectable screen pages (Road and Race, both with night and day backlighting) correspond to as many represented indexes.
Aprilia Multimedia platform (V4-MP) + Smartphone = performance
Standard equipment for the RSV4 RF (and optional for the RSV4 RR), there is a new version of the V4-MP, the Aprilia multimedia platform that lets you connect your smartphone to the vehicle via Bluetooth, introducing for the first time a true corner by corner electronic settings calibration system with data that can subsequently be downloaded to your laptop (or displayed directly on the smartphone) for analysis, just like they do at the races. The new V4-MP adds a new connection protocol that reduces smartphone battery consumption to a minimum, in addition to providing a larger range of circuits already mapped in which you can manage the electronic settings corner by corner, as well as user acquisition of a new circuit that is not in the list Aprilia has provided. V4-MP also includes the Infotainment system, introduced by Aprilia for the first time on the new RSV4, to manage voice commands and incoming/outgoing telephone calls with your smartphone. These activities are also displayed and managed by the digital instrumentation.
- 999 cc 65º V4
- 201 hp (148 kW) @ 13,000 rpm
- 84.8 ft-lbs (115 Nm) @ 10,500 rpm
- Double overhead camshaft (DOHC)
- Four valves per cylinder
- 6-speed cassette type gearbox with slipper clutch
- Aluminium dual beam chassis with pressed and cast sheet elements
- Sachs adjustable steering damper
- Sachs upside-down fork, 43 mm fork body. Adjustable spring preload, independent rebound and compression
- Sachs single shock absorber with remote reservoir, adjustable spring preload, independently adjustable compression and rebound.
- Front Brake: Brembo M50 4-piston mono-block radial calipers. Radial pump and steel braided brake lines; 330 mm floating double disc with aluminum carrier
- Rear Brake: Brembo 32 mm 2 isolated piston caliper. Rear brake pump with integrated reservoir and steel braided lines; 220mm disc
- ABS: C-ABS Bosch 9.1MP, de-selectable, adjustable to 3 mappings, with RLM (Rear wheel Lift-up Mitigation) strategy
- Wet Weight: 450 lbs (204 kg)
- Dry Weight: 397 lbs (180 kg)
- Aprilia Traction Control
- Aprilia Wheelie Control
- Aprilia Launch Control
- Aprilia Quick Shift (up & down shifting)
- Aprilia Pit Limiter
- Aprilia Cruise Control
- Bosch Multi-map Cornering ABS
- Aprilia RLM (Rear Liftup Mitigation)
- Ride By Wire with 3 engine mappings: (Sport, Race, Track)
- Rider selectable Engine Mapping
- Color TFT Instrumentation
- All 2015 and newer Aprilia Motorcycles include a 2-year unlimited-mileage warranty. *Limits are outlined in the warranty booklet
Euro 4 engine, the same exceptional performance
The primary and unique characteristics of this gem of Italian technology, the ones that led to the creation of the best superbike of all times, remain unchanged. This is the world's first full scale production motorcycle with a high performance narrow V4 engine, the most revolutionary and powerful engine ever built by Aprilia. An engine that has been made unmistakeable because of the use of “total” electronics, because of its extremely compact size and light weight. The changes implemented in this evolution of the Italian V4 not only resulted in achieving the goals of Euro 4 approval, but also increasing overall reliability and performance, without sacrificing power and maximum torque (which remain respectively at 201 HP at 13,000 rpm and 115 Nm at 10,500 rpm), and not even that inimitable sound that has always been a true soundtrack of the Aprilia V4 engines. The powerplant earns a new exhaust system with a silencer that has a double oxygen sensor and a built in valve. The engine ECU is new, with superior calculating capacity able to manage the rise in maximum revs, now 300 rpm higher. Therefore, the engine now boasts an increased extension capacity and it was also for this reason that the variable timing intake ducts were eliminated, no longer deemed necessary. This decision contributed to reducing the weight of the fuel system parts by 500 grams. In order to increase performance and reliability, new and lighter pistons were introduced with brand new segments that reduce the blow-by effect. Furthermore, a honing treatment was added for the connecting rod heads, further reducing friction. The valve recall springs are also new in order to guarantee reliability during the heaviest operating loads, whereas the valves have benefited from optimized timing, capable of increasing performance and reliability. Last, but not least, the gearbox now has a linear sensor that guarantees impeccable gearshift operation.